Shin splints; also known as tibial stress syndrome can affect the anterior or posterior muscles and bones of the lower leg. Shin splints are often caused by repetitive activities resulting in overuse and muscle strain. This injury causes pain and hinders functional ability in many activities, especially running.
There are a variety of treatments available for this injury, including these home remedies:
- Alter your fitness regime, this involves reducing your running distance, changing your running circuit, using lower weights and less reps, allowing relative rest for your injury to heal
- Change your shoes or use insoles to provide better arch support, this can help reduce the stresses through your knee and lower leg
- Stretch the muscles of your lower leg; hold stretches for 30-45 seconds and repeat regularly throughout the day
- Apply ice for 15-20 minutes to relieve pain and swelling
- Use supportive tape or bandages for up to 6 weeks
- Epsom bath salts can help to reduce pain and swelling; the combination of warm water and magnesium helps muscles to relax
At Jonathan Clark Physiotherapy, we offer advice and education on how to manage this condition at home. We help you make the relevant changes to your lifestyle to reduce your symptoms and aid recovery. Our therapists also provide a range of treatments including soft tissue massage, taping and strapping, ultrasound and individualised home exercise programmes. These all help to manage your pain and allow you to return to the activities you love.