Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome; also known as Shin Splints, commonly occurs in runners and results in pain localised to the medial aspect of the Tibia.
It is largely caused by:
1) Overuse or Overactivity
2) Running on hard or uneven surfaces
3) Sudden increase in training regime – intensity or duration
4) Inadequate footwear providing a lack of support at the ankle and foot
The best form of treatment entails:
1) PRICE – Protection, Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation
2) Analgesia and Anti-inflammatories such as Ibuprofen, including gels to provide localised relief
3) Consult a Physiotherapist
At Jonathan Clark Physiotherapy we provide expert advice and education as well as tailoring specific stretching and strengthening exercise programmes to alleviate your symptoms.