What is it?
A degenerative joint disease, mainly affecting weight bearing joints. Characterised by a slowly progressing stiffness.
- Softening of articular cartilage
- Thinning of cartilage
- Formation of cavities which expose underlying bone
- Fragments of bone shed into joint space
- Bony sclerosis (abnormal hardening on bone)
- Bony cyst and osteophyte formation at joint margins
- Inflammation and fibrosis of soft tissues
This results in irregular joint space and poor movement between joints
- Pain on weight bearing
- Reduced range of movement
- Swelling and heat
- Deformity and crepitus
At Jonathan Clark, our Physiotherapists can prescribe exercises to help Osteoarthritic joints. We provide advice and education regarding exercise, pain relief and management techniques.